Updated practice aid: Accounting for digital assets
FINANCIAL REPORTING INSIGHTS |
Authored by RSM US LLP
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Digital Assets Working Group recently updated a practice aid, Accounting for and auditing of digital assets, to include three new accounting sections, which address:
- Contracts involving derivatives and embedded derivatives
- Crypto asset lending
Other accounting matters discussed in this practice aid include:
- Classification and measurement when an entity purchases crypto assets
- Recognition and initial measurement when an entity receives digital assets that are classified as indefinite-lived intangible assets
- Subsequent accounting for digital assets classified as indefinite-lived intangible assets
- Measurement of cost basis of digital assets that are classified as indefinite–lived intangible assets when derecognized
- Derecognition of digital asset holdings that are classified as indefinite-lived intangible assets
- Recognition of digital assets when an entity uses a third-party hosted wallet service
- Meeting the definition of an investment company when engaging in digital asset activities
- Accounting by an investment company for digital assets it holds as an investment
- Recognition, measurement and presentation of digital assets specific to broker-dealers
- Considerations for crypto assets that require fair value measurement
- Accounting for stablecoin holdings
The audit-related content of the practice aid addresses:
- Client acceptance and continuance
- Risk assessment and processes and controls
- Laws and regulations and related parties
The practice aid also includes a blockchain universal glossary.
This article was written by RSM US LLP and originally appeared on 2022-02-28.
2021 RSM US LLP. All rights reserved.
RSM US Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each is separate and independent from RSM US LLP. RSM US LLP is the U.S. member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax, and consulting firms. Members of RSM US Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM US LLP but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit rsmus.com/about us for more information regarding RSM US LLP and RSM International. The RSM logo is used under license by RSM US LLP. RSM US Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM US LLP.
Pugh CPAs is a proud member of RSM US Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms in the United States. RSM US Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM US LLP, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM US LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the U.S. member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.
Our membership in RSM US Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise and technical resources.
For more information on how Pugh CPAs can assist you, please call 865.769.0660.
Call us at 865.769.0660 or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.